Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Don't Underestimate the Power of OK

WHAT I LEARNED TODAY:

I recently engaged in an e-mail exchange with a juvenile individual who needed attention and validation from me. Apparently he was feeling neglected and expressed as much to me in a terse e-mail. Having adapted my new perspective of – Think Less: Do More (see below) – I communicated my displeasure at his selfish demand for my attention and implied that he buzz off. I should have never chosen to engage as doing so set off a chain reaction of emails that never needed to be exchanged in the first place. I kept thinking to myself, What? How old are we? I could FEEL myself sinking to a level of immaturity rarely achieved without copious amounts of drinking. Needless to say, this was an entirely sober exchange. Emails ceded after I realized what I was doing. This exchange illustrated an important point: There are a lot of immature people out there. Don’t underestimate the Power of OK. Just nod, smile, say “OK,” and then remove yourself from the situation. Any other course of action will only prove disastrous and make you look as bad as the instigator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home