Monday, August 07, 2006

She Rants

I had an epiphany over the weekend. Consider it something of a liberation. I am taking myself off the dating treadmill. Indefinitely. I’ve just had ENOUGH. Here are my reasons why – or should I say, why not:

- Since when did people in relationships stop talking to one another? When did burgeoning relationships become all about TEXT message, e-mail and IM? What happened to a good, old-fashioned phone call? Are we all really THAT busy? I would argue NOT. Personally, I think it’s just an easy way to keep from getting fully involved, and thus allowing ourselves the easy-out lest we feel we might get hurt.
- Secondly, whatever happened to dinner and a movie? Why is it always “Let’s meet for drinks?” I’m not talking first date here, I’m talking 3 dates in. If, after 2 dates you are still unsure you can share a meal with this person, then either A – you have mental problems or B – you only want to sleep with your date.
- The fade-out. This is probably my biggest gripe. Instead of saying the words, “I no longer want to see you.” I’ve often been on the receiving end of a “fade-out.” This is where the individual simply stops communicating with you. Slowly at first, and then, radio silence. This is incorrigible behavior. It’s immature and cowardly. Grow up people – how hard is it to say, “I don’t want to see you anymore?”
- Cheating – I’m a little on the fence on this one. It is what it is, I suppose. Just don’t let your partner know. If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around to hear it fall, did it make any noise on the way down? I think not.
- Finally, I bring you my favorite relationship gripe: BAGGAGE. I used to think I didn’t have any. I traveled light. However, after becoming somewhat irreparably damaged by my 2 ½ year dating stint in New York, I realize that my trunk is just as big as many New Yorkers’ schlepping their issues around. For this I would like to thank all you New Yorkers – thanks for unloading on me! I’m happy to be a pack-rat like the rest of you!

I have cancelled my online dating subscription – for the 3rd and final time. And have vowed to do the following:

- Start going to the library more.
- Start going to the gym more.
- Cook more often
- Perhaps even host a dinner party.
- Go shopping more.
- Decorate my apartment
- Visit museums
- Figure out what I want to do with my life…

So there you have it. This is the current state of affairs (or should I say, lack thereof) for Mozo. Gentleman, don’t come a knockin’… Move on to the next please. I’ll be busy reading Nietzsche and mastering Rachel Ray’s 30 minute meals while burning calories on the (non-dating) treadmill.

Over and Out

1 Comments:

Blogger zi said...

libraries rule! wait for me to get there on August 25th and we'll start a book club.

by the way, dinner parties are so 2005. i hear picnics are the new "it" thing for aught six. and i hope that soup kitchens will be in for aught seven.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home